Do you need help with finding clothes for your photoshoot? I’m often asked for clothing ideas, so I thought I’d include a bit of information on the topic to help pick your clothes for your next family photo session. The main guideline that you want to keep in mind as you plan your outfits is this:
COMPLEMENT & COORDINATE BUT DON’T GET TOO MATCHY!
The absolute best thing to do it to find one dress or shirt you love with multiple colors in it and coordinate everyone else’s clothes for your photoshoot around that one. You can also find a color palette that you love and choose outfits that compliment each other without looking too matchy-matchy. Everyone will have a unique look without clashing in the photo. You can choose to do neutrals with a few pops of color or a softer palette that has different ranges in tone of the same shades. Keep it simple! Pinterest has a TON of helpful ideas for figuring out what to wear for a photography session!
• Maybe start with Mom choosing an outfit and clothes she feels confident and beautiful in for your photoshoot. Then plan the color palette and everyone else’s outfits from there.
• If you have a fun patterned outfit you would like to use, limit it to one person. That way they will pop and still coordinate with everyone else. Multiple patterns can look busy, and this way they won’t be competing with one another.
• Feel free to bring cute little accessories such as scarves, hats, belts and basically anything with a fabulous texture. Accessories can pull together an outfit and make it look complete. Plus by switching up accessories and layers, you can get multiple looks without having to do complete outfit changes.
• Keep our backdrop in mind when choosing your clothing. (outdoors – if it’s Fall think about the color of leaves that will be around you, if it’s summer things will be more green, etc.)
• Most importantly, be sure to wear clothes you feel comfortable in!!! Your confidence will really shine through in your photos!
Try to Avoid:
Be aware of any tan lines and how those will look in your chosen outfit
And if you feel like you are in need of assistance, I am happy to help you! I want your pictures to shine just as much as you do. You can lay your outfits on a large bed or on the floor, and then send me photos of your favorite combinations. We can work together to ensure we find the perfect combination! When in doubt keep things simple and make sure everyone is comfortable in your clothes for your photoshoot!
Contact me to book your session if you don’t already have a date set!